14.8.12

I went to LARP and I liked it...


I went to the South Carolina SOLAR event this past weekend. I had a ton of fun and I learned more than I expected. Not only did I learn about the game, rules, etc., but I also learned things about myself.

1. I learned that I have an easier time getting into character in a LARP situation than tabletop.

I am hoping that I can take that experience and re-apply it to the tabletop. Also, I had little trouble sleeping in-character...which was surprising for me. Is this typical for folks, or am I crazy? (Apparently, as I started drifting into sleep Sunday and Monday nights, I was simultaneously in and out of character, too...started talking in my sleep asking, as my character, if I did something wrong.)

2. I learned that stupid hurts.

I watched way too much conflict and near-deaths resulting from cases of the dumb.

3. I learned that I am a masochist.

I really like for whatever I'm doing to not be completely in my control and for it to hurt. I think it's a release from all of the responsibilities that I have in the real world and a bunch of other psychological stuff. But the whole "pain + lack of control = fun" thing brings us to...

4. I learned that certain experiences are frightening, but fun.

No, really. I was stuck outside a cabin, pinned to a wall by an undead...thing...and had a blast RPing my scared shitless character. Poor girl. She was paralyzed in fear, but defiant. I'm surprised she didn't die when she talked back to the thing that pinned her. It's breathing down her neck and she refuses to make eye contact. It grunts, and she asks, defiantly, "Can I help you?" His response was a growled "You can die!" Hearing that, she closed her eyes...until she heard a scuffle inside the cabin.

5. I learned that LARPing does things to me emotionally/psychologically.

Yeah. I still get the adrenaline shakes talking about almost dying. But, I also feel more confident. I see the person in the mirror as a stranger in some ways. I don't see my reflection as being "not me" so much as I see it as being a changing me. For all of the change, that's going to have to take us to...

6. I learned that LARP combat is great exercise, and I eat healthy(ish) all weekend.

So, I've convinced the friend who brought me (who may end up as my and Durok's roomie) to spar with me. If I can keep up the healthy eating and spar for at least an hour 3x a week, I should lose weight faster than I am currently.

There you have it. Six things I learned about myself through my first LARP weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment